Market Update – October 8 – Yields Drive Higher Pushing USD & Stocks too
- USD (USDIndex 94.30) holds at highs, Stocks & Oil move higher testing key technicals – Yields the driver (5yr at 1.0416% – Feb 2020 high) US debt ceiling extended by $480bn, Weekly Claims and Challenger Job cuts both better than expected. China back at work & big beat for Services PMI (returning to growth at 53.4 from 46.7) – adding to the bid but Taiwan tensions increase. No Evergrande update.
- US Yields (10yr closed 1.571%) now at 1.596% in Asian trades.
- Equities moved higher into close. USA500 +36.0 (+0.83%) at 4399 (testing 20-day MA) USA500.F higher for 4th day – but below cash close 4386. Asian equities higher supported by China. VIX closed at 20.00 – trades up at 20.17 now.
- USOil back to test highs, trades at $79.12, despite inventory surprise on Wednesday.
- Gold slipped on higher yields down to $1752 now back to $1759; 20-day MA $1765.
- FX markets USD remains bid – EURUSD 1.1546 Cable holds 1.3600, & USDJPY higher again ( todays biggest mover) at 111.90 from 111.20 lows yesterday.
Overnight – Mixed JPY data (Earnings Higher, Econ. Sentiment & Spending lower), GER – trade balance; a big miss (exports lower imports higher) +13.0b vs +17.9bn
European Open – December 10-yr Bund future down -22 ticks, slightly underperforming versus Treasury futures, after EZ bonds outperformed yesterday. Markets will now be focusing on the NFP this afternoon, as markets adjust their rate expectations. UK Inflation warnings saw Gilts underperforming yesterday & while Asian stock markets managed to mostly move higher, DAX & FTSE 100 futures are down -0.2% & -0.1% respectively, while US futures are narrowly mixed, with the NASDAQ underperforming.
Today – US & Canadian labour market reports, ECB’s Panetta & BoE’s Tenreyro.
Biggest FX Mover @ (06:30 GMT) USDJPY (+0.28%) Rallied from 111.20 lows yesterday to eye 111.95 once more. Faster MAs aligned higher, MACD signal line & histogram trending higher & over 0 line, RSI 71 OB zone & moving higher. H1 ATR 0.068, Daily ATR 0.606.
Click here to access our Economic Calendar
Head Market Analyst
Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in Leveraged Products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
Comments are closed