Market Update – November 12 – USD holds onto its multi-month bid
- USD (USDIndex 95.16) spiked to 95.26 (new 16-mth high) vs. Euro at 14-mth low, USDJPY close to 4-yr high, Commodity & EM Currencies pressured too. Stocks mixed, Asian markets firmer, Treasury futures re-open positively. Next milestone – US Retail Sales on Tuesday (8.5-10% increase?). German Wholesale prices much hotter than expected (+0.6% vs 0.4% & 0.2% last time) . Xi Ping the new “helmsman”, Russia & Ukraine issues swirl.
- US Yields (10yr trades at 1.566%, up 1.7bp after Thursday’s holiday.
- Equities mixed, Dow -0.44%, NASDAQ +0.52% USA500 +2.5 (+0.06%) at 4649 – Big movers; TSLA rival RIVN +22%, FreeportMc +9%, GM & NVidia both +4.3%, Disney -7%. USA500.F trades lower at 4646.
- USOil – struggles & fails to hold $80.00, on the stronger USD & OPEC cutting its 2021 oil demand forecast due to high prices.
- Gold holds at highs too at $1857 now. A close over the psychological $1850 tonight would be 7 consecutive days of gains, something it hasn’t done since July 2020. Then it rallied from under $1800 to $1970 in 8 consecutive days, & topped at $2072 6 days later.
- FX markets – EURUSD down to 1.1435 earlier, lifted to 1.1450, USDJPY back over 114.00, & Cable back to 1.3385. AUD & NZD at 5-wk low.
European Open – German 10-yr Bund future up 12 ticks at 170.54, alongside broad gains in Treasury futures. DAX & FTSE 100 futures up 0.1% & US futures outperforming slightly, though there is some lingering anxiety on US warnings of a potential Russian invasion in Ukraine. Inflation concerns also continue to linger, as markets try to map out the future ECB path based on CB comments & official forecast. For BoE, the weaker than expected GDP print yesterday has seen markets scaling back rate hike expectations. Do arguments for an early move remain valid?
Today – EZ Industrial Production, US JOLTS, Uni. of Michigan, ECB’s Lane, Fed’s Williams.
Biggest FX Mover @ (07:30 GMT) NZDCHF (+0.22%) Bounced from 0.6460 again today, but remains under 0.6500. Faster MAs aligned higher, MACD signal line & histogram risning but under 0 line, RSI 53 & neutral. H1 ATR 0.00081, Daily ATR 0.0052.
Click here to access our Economic Calendar
Head Market Analyst
Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in Leveraged Products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.Hi – yes
Comments are closed