Market Update – May 11 – All About the Inflation Outlook
USD holds at highs and on standby for US CPI later, Stocks stalled their recent declines, Yields cool a tad as talk of Treasury rout also cools with 10-yr back under 3.00%. Oil paused its 9% slump on EU Oil ban and OPEC talk of capacity issues. Gold under $1850. Asian shares off 2-year lows (Nikkei +0.18%). Chinese Inflation hotter than expected, Biden supports FED actions, more Fed members talk rate hikes, NZ housing market shows signs of cooling. US House of Representatives approves $400bn support package for Ukraine as US intelligence chief talks of Putin preparing for “long war”.
- USDIndex remains under 104.00 but holds its bid trading at 103.75 now.
- Equities – USA500 +9.81 (0.25%) at 4001.05, US500FUTS at 4015 now. Peloton -8.7% @ $12.70 (ATH was $171), COIN -12.6%, TSLA +1.64%, TWTR -1.64% (Musk would allow TRUMP back). APPLE (+1.61%) retired the iPod after 21 years.
- Yields cooled -10-yr closed at 2.993%, below key 3.00% level. Trades down over 1.5% today at 2.98%.
- Oil & Gold both had weak & volatile sessions – USOil tested down to $98.00 before reversing to $102.20 Gold slumped from $1865 to $1830 earlier and struggles at $1845 now. No safe-haven bid.
- Bitcoin languishes at $31K now, over 50% down from ATH and -35% YTD
- FX markets – EURUSD up from 1.0500 to 1.0545, USDJPY holds over 130.00, at 130.25 and Cable continues to struggle at 1.2335. AUD outperformed in Asia.
Overnight – CHINA CPI & PPI hotter than expected, (2.1% vs 1.5% & 8.0% vs 7.8%) respectively. JPY leading Indicators better than expected & German M/M CPI in-line at 0.8%. ECB’s Müller: Appropriate to raise rates into positive territory by year-end. Fed’s Waller & Mester more hawkish. (Mester talked of going beyond neutral)
Today – US CPI, Speeches from Fed’s Bostic, ECB’s Lagarde, Schnabel, Elderson, de Cos, Centeno, Vasle & Muller. Earnings from Ubisoft, Siemens Energy, Poste Italiane, E.ON, Continental, ITV, Compass & Beyond Meat.
Biggest FX Mover @ (06:30 GMT) AUDUSD (+0.42%) Rallied from lows at 0.6910 yesterday to 0.6970 now, next resistance 0.6980 and 0.7000 today. MAs aligning higher, MACD signal line & histogram moving higher & testing 0 line, RSI 56 & rising, H1 ATR 0.0016, Daily ATR 0.011.
Click here to access our Economic Calendar
Head Market Analyst
Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in Leveraged Products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distribution.
Comments are closed